When Will the Housing Market Crash?

Concerns regarding a housing market downturn persist as certain borrowers struggle with their mortgage payments. A rise in mortgage delinquencies in September has intensified these fears, despite a decline in foreclosures. With the 30-year fixed annual mortgage interest rate hitting a staggering 8.24%, compared to 3% to 4% in previous years, and expected to remain high until at least 2024, the anxiety surrounding a potential market crash is palpable. Recent data shows an increase in both short-term and “serious” delinquencies, though there’s a silver lining with a drop in active foreclosures and foreclosure starts. While mixed data makes it challenging to predict an imminent market crash, the escalating mortgage rates call for vigilance among investors and homebuyers.

The analysis suggests a nuanced picture of the housing market. The Intercontinental Exchange’s research indicates a troubling rise in delinquencies yet a comforting decline in active foreclosures. Although September’s statistics didn’t reflect the recent spike in mortgage rates, it’s vital to remain attentive to evolving market dynamics. Conclusively, the mixed data defies a clear verdict on a housing market crash, urging stakeholders to closely monitor forthcoming indicators for a better gauge on market trajectory. With mortgage rates now exceeding 8%, the subsequent data may shed light on the ripple effects on both homebuyers and stock investors.

Based on the information gathered from various sources, it appears there are several factors and expert opinions hinting at a potential housing market crash, while the exact timing remains uncertain. Here are insights and predictions from different experts regarding the housing market outlook:

Morgan Stanley Prediction:

  • Morgan Stanley foresees a 10% drop in housing prices from June 2022 to 2024, contrasting with the 45% price increase previously experienced in the US housing market​1​.

Interest Rate Peaks:

  • Rick Sharga, founder and CEO of real estate consulting firm CJ Patrick Company, anticipates that rates will peak at about 8 percent for 30-year loans and 7.25 percent for 15-year loans in early 2023​2​.

Zelman’s Analysis:

  • Analyst Ivy Zelman, known for accurately calling the 2005 housing market peak, predicts a 4% decline in U.S. home prices in 2023, followed by an additional 5% drop in 2024, totaling a near 9% decrease between 2023 and 2024​3​.

Market Cooling, Not Collapsing:

  • Some analysts and economists expect a cooling in the housing market in 2023 but are divided on whether prices will remain flat or collapse​4​.

Impact of Rising Interest Rates:

  • The housing market slowdown has been attributed to a surge in mortgage interest rates, with the 30-year fixed rate reaching a 20-year high of 7% in October and remaining in the mid-6% range throughout 2023​5​.

Housing Bubble Indicators:

  • The Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas pointed out signs of a possible housing bubble in a 2022 report, although some experts, like Len Kiefer, Deputy Chief Economist at Freddie Mac, argue that the market doesn’t exhibit classic bubble characteristics such as being driven by speculation or credit expansion​5​.

Comparison to 2008 Housing Crash:

  • The current market is distinguished from the 2008 housing crash by tighter lending standards, more homeowners having fixed-rate mortgages, and a higher equity level among homeowners, which might provide a buffer against a severe market downturn​5​.

The insights from different experts portray a mixed outlook. While there are warning signs of a housing market downturn, the extent and timing of such a crash are debated among experts. The market dynamics, especially the surging mortgage interest rates and their effects on buyer demand, seem to be critical factors influencing the future of the housing market.

Read Next: Who is Laura Loomer?

Jennifer Wilkens

Jennifer has a degree in communications from Utah Valley University and enjoys writing business and financial news articles. She loves snowboarding and spending time with her two kids.

Recent Articles

Posted in